Looking in the mirror and wondering what beard style would work best for you? This familiar question is one lots of men ponder when they consider the best beard shape for them. Luckily there’s a great place to start and that’s working out which types of beards are going to compliment your face shape.
We’ve identified four essential face shapes for you: square, oval, rectangular and round.Each individual face shape is suited to a number of beard styles that are going to bring out the best in your natural looks. For inspiration on which looks will be sharpest on you and how to achieve the styles with Braun electric shavers read on below.
How to find best beard styles for your face shape?
Before we get to which beard style suits which face type, it is essential that you know your face type. For those who don’t or are unsure of it, this simple process will help.
First, find a flexible tape measure. Then, take the following measurements, and record each part as you progress.
Forehead: Measure your face across, from the peak of one eyebrow arch to the peak of the opposite arch.
Cheekbones: Measure across your cheekbones, starting and ending at the pointiest part below the outer corner of each eye.
Jawline: Measure from the tip of your chin to below your ear at the point at which your jaw angles upwards. Multiply that number by two to get your jawline measurement.
Face Length: Measure from the centre of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
After you’ve measured the above four parts of your face, note which is the largest of the four. You can now compare this part to the below main profiles to find out which category your face falls. We’ve identified five essential face shapes for you: square, oval, rectangular, diamond and round. Each individual face shape is suited to a number of beard styles that are going to bring out the best in your natural looks.
For inspiration on which looks will be sharpest on you and how to achieve the styles with Braun electric shavers read on below.
Goatee styles for a square face
If your jawline is defined by hard and sharp lines, then it’s very likely that you have a square face shape. Choosing the perfect facial hair to add to this chiselled look, you don’t want to exaggerate the definition that your face already has with a square beard.
Instead the goatee style is an ideal candidate for this face shape. The rounded look of a goatee beard means that this type of beard works well to soften the angles of your face shape. The fullness of the moustache and goatee style are a great match for the larger appearance typical of square faces.
For the full lowdown on how to shape this look with a Braun electric shaver, explore our step by step guide on How to Goatee. If you’ve got the square jaw for this style, the next step is letting your beard grow out to 10mm in length and equipping yourself with Braun’s tools for the job.
Round face - Balbo, boxed, anchor and Van Dyke beard styles
If you have a round face shape, you’ll have a softer angle to your jawline. An easy way to determine whether this describes you is if your face length is a similar distance to the width across your cheekbones. They are larger than the forehead and jawline, which also have a similar measurement. Your chin may also be round in shape and there are a range of beard styles that work really well with this. The three best beard styles for this face shape are pointed beards which offer your cheekbones a more angular edge and keep the hair on the chin full.
Our three favoured facial hair looks for this face shape are pointed beards which offer your cheekbones a more angular edge and keep the hair on the chin full.
1. The Van Dyke beard takes inspiration from the goatee but instead of fully covering the area around the mouth, this look features a pointed chin beard with a moustache, which you can style however you prefer. Braun’s precision trimmer attachment makes the perfect tool to keep the area around your chin’s pointed beard well-trimmed for a defined look. Try Braun PT5010 Precision trimmer that comes with 2 combs and a trimmer stand. It helps you trim edges and contours your beard exactly as you want.
2. The anchor beard mirrors the shape of the moustache flipped upside down on your jawline. This look is similar to the chinstrap but has a lighter touch. It is famously sported by Robert Downey Jr as his character Tony Stark. To get this look right, you need good definition of the shape on your chin and upper lip before completely trimming the rest of your face. Braun PT5010 Precision trimmer is a great fit here too as it provides sharp defined lines and shapes with its extra small head. It also lets you trim those hard-to-reach areas like under your nose or chin
3. Boxed beard - A boxed beard is similar to a full beard, but has thin, neatly trimmed sides. For maintaining this style, an all-purpose trimmer is best suited. Try the Braun MGK7331 All-in-One Trimmer, a multi grooming kit that comes with a 10 in 1 trimmer, 8 attachments and Gillette ProGlide razor. It has a built-in AutoSense technology that adjusts the trimming to the type and length of your beard or body hair for maximum precision. This men's body groomer and beard trimmer features sharp blades that will last a lifetime. For even and efficient trimming, hair cutting and personal care and hair removal.
4. Balbo beard - A Balbo beard is one of the beard shapes that comes without sideburns and a trimmed, floating moustache. It’s a bit similar to the short-boxed beard. To style this beard look, Braun Series XT5 Beard Trimmer is ideal. It is a trimmer, body groomer and electric razor for men, an all-in-one tool. This trimmer features a SkinGuard comb to protect your skin even in delicate areas—from chest, underarms or groin to face, neck or eyebrows. It is designed for precision and control as you can trim both up and down with the two-way comb. Safely trim, style and manscape wet or dry thanks to the rubberized, anti-slip handle.
Oval face shape - Viking or stubble beard styles
To check if you have an oval face, refer to the measurements you recorded earlier. If the length of your face is greater than the width of your cheekbones, you have an oval face. It is the opposite dimensions to our test for a round face. With an oval face, the angle of the jaw is rounded rather than sharp.
Those who have an oval face, have the luck of choosing from a number of great beard looks for men. The oval shape should suit almost all facial hair styles as bearded looks are much less likely to make your face appear overly angular or squashed.
1. Stubble – If you want to test waters, a three-day beard or stubble beard is the best look to start with. This is our pick for low maintenance styles so if you want a simple option this is the one. We also have the full lowdown on How to Stubble. As a rough guide this look is generally between 1mm and 3mm length – the precision wheel on a Braun Beard Trimmer makes a great assistant here. Try the Braun BT5260 beard trimmer that comes powered with precision dial, 3 attachments and Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide razor. The precision dial and multi-comb system in Braun’s beard trimmers provides you with ultimate control across 39 exact lengths.
2. Viking beard – One of the best beard styles to a person with an oval face can flaunt in our long beard pick is the Viking beard. This is an adventurous and rugged look that can be grown long enough to meet the chest. Those who have dense beard growth will look swell with this style. While this look required slight shaping, it maintains an even length throughout, meaning you can go without frequent styling. When you do need styling tips, you can read our guide to long beard styles.
Read more about how to grow & trim long beard.
Rectangular face shape - Ducktail, hipster or chinstrap beard styles
Rectangular faces unsurprisingly have a lot in common with square faces in term of hard lines, but the difference is in the length. The face length is the greatest measurement, while the forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are similar in size. The secret to success for all beard styles is working in sync with your face shape and when it comes to rectangular faces, the longer look of your face doesn’t need the pointy edge that an Anchor beard can give rounder faces.
Giving a rectangular face a wider look means that a longer face is more filled out with a full facial hair look. Two of our most popular picks to achieve this effect are the hipster beard and ducktail beard.
1. Hipster beard – This is a popular facial hairstyle that emerged from the hipster subculture in late 2005 and early 2006. There are a number of different forms of this beard, but, like most hipster fashion, it is a versatile look that keeps you looking more stylish than unruly. To style this beard look, you need to focus on attaining thickness. Allow it to grow for at least a month or even two before you begin styling. And when you do, try the Braun MGK3221 All-in-one trimmer. It is a 6-in-1 trimmer that comes with 5 attachments.It comes with Lifetime Sharp Blades for even beard trimming and hair clipping and helps to create accurate lines and edges on neck and cheek with the main beard trimmer head.
2. Chinstrap beard – This one’s a rugged classic that accentuates your jawline if you’ve got sharp, hard lines of a rectangular face. This style can vary between 2mm in width up to 2cm for a thicker look. Refer to our guide on how to chinstrap for all the styling tips you need to master this look. Use Braun BT5260 Beard trimmer for styling as it comes with precision dial, 3 attachments and Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide razor – the complete beard styling kit. The precision dial on this trimmer has 39 length settings in 0.5 mm step sizes for an effortless trimming experience.
Explore Braun's range of trimmers and Braun’s grooming kits for beard styling
When it comes to beard styling, Braun’s Multi Grooming Kits such as the Braun MGK7331 All-in-one trimmer and the Braun XT5100 beard trimmer and electric razor for men, are perfect for beard grooming. For the wide range of beard styles that might be best for you,Braun’s AutoSensing Motor adapts to any length and thickness of hair. The included guards for long and short beards are also great styling tools and the precision dial technology will let you contour edge any beard styles with ease.
Check out Braun’s range of male grooming products.
There’s a beard style for every face, you’ve just got to figure which style suits your face. It is important to know your face shape and choose the right beard style for it.